- About Us
- On Campus
- Beyond Campus
- Get Involved
Our Mission Field:
In 2013, there were 19.5 million college students, including 5.3 million in two-year colleges, 10.5 million in four-year colleges and 3.7 million in graduate school.
- U.S. Census Bureau
There are 2,968 4-year colleges and 1,738 2-year colleges in the U.S. (2013 statistics).
- National Center for Education Statistics
We bear witness to God and His church through:
In 2014-2015, InterVarsity had 985 chapters on 649 campuses. Many campuses have more than one chapter, which may include separate outreaches to international students, sororities and fraternities, and ethnic minority groups, as well as career-specific graduate student chapters. During the 2014-2015 school year, 40,219 core students and faculty were actively involved in InterVarsity. Of that number, 59% were women and 41% men. There are 1,137 InterVarsity field staff who minister to these students and faculty.*
- Approximately 36% of the college population (not counting internationals) identify themselves as ethnic minorities.
- Of the 40,219 active InterVarsity students, 15,060, or 38%, identify themselves as ethnic minority or multiracial students.
- InterVarsity has 219 Asian American staff, 80 Black/African American staff, 63 Hispanic/Latino staff, six American Indian or Alaskan Native staff, four Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander staff, and 38 “two or more races” staff.
- Specialized areas of ministry include Black Campus Ministries (including 29 BCM chapters), Asian American Ministries (34 chapters), and Latino Fellowship (including 5 LaFe chapters) with 1 Native ministry chapter.
- 189 chapters are primarily oriented to graduate students, professional students, and/or faculty.
- 1,809 faculty members are involved with InterVarsity and 4,895 graduate students are actively involved with InterVarsity.
- During the 2014-2015 school year, 1,109 students and 118 faculty members participated in 87 Nurses Christian Fellowship groups in Schools of Nursing. 14 students came to faith through the ministry of NCF.
- 348 professional nurses were involved in 24 Nurses Christian Fellowship local nurse chapters during the same period and 325 nurses attended area conferences. In areas without student chapters, 26 student nurses were involved in nurse chapters.
- Many other students and professionals are reached through the Journal of Christian Nursing and conferences which focus on applying a Christian worldview to the field of Nursing.
- 4,269 first-time professions of faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord reported by chapter leaders (up 172% from the same number ten years ago).
- 3,037 students attended the 1,691 GIGs (Groups Investigating God) held during 2014-2015
- 53,228 seekers participated in evangelistic events
- 82,053 students followed-up after New Student Outreach.
- International students in the United States number 886,052 from 219 countries, according to the Open Doors 2014 Report from the Institute of International Education. China sends the most students, more than the next four countries combined: India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Canada.
- 140 InterVarsity staff members work to develop international witnessing communities on campus, including official volunteer staff.
- 4,951 International students are regularly involved in both undergraduate and graduate fellowships, including 69 fellowships specifically for International students.
- Currently, there are 750,000 fraternity and sorority students on over 800 campuses across the United States. These students hold a disproportionate amount of leadership on campus and historically hold significant leadership positions after graduation.
- A total of 3,195 students were involved with Greek InterVarsity on 90 campuses, including 29 campuses with fraternity and sorority specific fellowships.
- InterVarsity officially launched two new strategic ministries at our National Staff Conference in January, 2014: Arts Ministry and Athletes InterVarsity.
- Student artists involved in Arts Ministry totalled 1,727, with 525 involved in 30 specific Arts Ministry chapters or chapters with intentional arts outreach.
- Student athletes involved in Athletes InterVarsity totalled 2,239, with 1,295 involved in 60 Athletes InterVarsity chapters or chapters with intentional athletes outreach.
A total of 7,096 students were involved in cross-cultural training missions in 2013-2014.
- The Global Urban Trek is a 7 week trip designed to immerse college students in urban slums around the world, partner with local ministries, and help them discern if Jesus is calling them to this context in the future.
- In summer 2015, 43 students and staff participated in Global Urban Trek in three countries.
- Global Projects engage InterVarsity students in cross-cultural missions through partnerships with IFES movements and other ministries around the world.
- In summer 2015, 289 InterVarsity students and staff participated in 20 Global Projects in 16 countries.
- In 2015 there were eight dips (weekend), 43 plunges (one week), one short program (two weeks), twelve summer vocational discipleship programs and two year-round projects in 32 U.S. cities with more than 2,000 students involved.
- We planted four new Marketplace programs focusing on vocational discipleship (in Boston, Cleveland, Des Moines and New York City), restarted Urban Programs in Tacoma, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia, and expanded our programs centered in Los Angeles to the nearby cities of Riverside and Pomona.
- Thousands of community residents were served in San Diego, Los Angeles, Riverside, Pomona, Fresno, Oakland, San Francisco, and Sacramento, California; Tacoma and Spokane, Washington; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; New York City and Fredonia, New York; Chicago, Illinois; Des Moines, Iowa; St. Louis, Missouri; Tampa, Florida; Washington, DC; Baltimore, Maryland; Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio; Charlottesville, Virginia; New Orleans, Louisiana; San Antonio, Texas; Morgantown, West Virginia; Denver, Colorado; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Hilo, HI; Cibecue, Arizona and Tijuana, Mexico.
- 51 InterVarsity Link staff and volunteers serve overseas in 26 countries by invitation of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students. As of July 2014 there were 13 InterVarsity staff preparing to go overseas in the next year to serve students in 12 countries.
- Urbana is InterVarsity’s triennial student mission conference. Students learn about the global mission of the church. At each event, up to 20,000 students explore short-term and vocational missions opportunities. Approximately 300 agencies and schools host booths where students can ask questions about missions.
- Since the first Conference in 1946, nearly 272,000 participants have heard the challenge to enter into God’s global mission. Urbana 12 was held December 27-31, 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri, and was attended by about 16,000 people. Out of that number, 7058 commitments were made to global or cross cultural missions. An offering of more than $800,000 was given by participants to organizations that assist the physically and spiritually poor. Urbana 15 will be held January 27-31, 2015, at the Americas Center and the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.
Retreats and Training Centers (Camps)
In 2014 a total of 21,200 people attended InterVarsity’s three training centers (Cedar Campus, Cedarville, Michigan; Campus By the Sea, Catalina Island, California; Toah Nipi, Rindge, New Hampshire) to focus on God and be equipped for Christian service. These facilities are open to students, graduates, staff, families, and church groups. (In December 2011 InterVarsity transferred assets of Bear Trap Ranch, our fourth training center, to Foundation of the Heart and its ministry, Band of Brothers.)
InterVarsity Press (IVP) published 126 new books in 2014 and has over 1,900 titles in print. IVP books consistently win awards for their quality and have been translated into over 65 languages including Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Persian, Croatian, and Estonian. More than 1,000 ebook titles are available on Kindle and other digital platforms. IVP is known as a leader in the publishing industry for publishing thoughtful Christian books.
* This page is currently in the middle of an annual update. Statistics will be updated as they are compiled and become available.