- About Us
- On Campus
- Beyond Campus
- Get Involved
The Blog of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
June 10, 2013
A Gift Guide for High-School Grads
Money in the envelope is always appreciated, but how about giving something a little more original for the high-school grad heading to college this fall? Let me offer a few gift suggestions that will help them start their collegiate journey well.
- Flip-flops: Community bathrooms lack the cleanliness of home. Give your favorite grad the gift of clean feet free of warts and athlete’s foot.
- Community: Connect your grad to an InterVarsity staff member or student at the campus they’re heading to. Community is after all one of the essential ingredients to success spiritually and emotionally.
- A Keurig coffee maker, a home soda maker, or a case of Red Bull: They will thank you when they need to cram for their Roman history final and pull an all-nighter.
- A copy of True Story by James Choung: His book is a great tool to help them think about how they’ll live out their faith on campus, share Jesus with friends, and wrestle with hard questions about Christianity.
- Prayer: Pray with them in person as you can, and write letters or send emails reminding them you’re praying for them. Beginning college is a scary experience. They’ll most likely be feeling nervous about classes, unsure whether they’ll make friends, overwhelmed by learning to become an adult, and homesick.
- Gift certificate to a tattoo parlor: They can get their favorite Bible verse or classic “Jesus fish” tattooed in a place where people will notice. Guaranteed to spark spiritual conversations!
- Rolls of quarters, a jug of laundry detergent, and a laundry basket: These are things they won’t realize they need until they run out of clean socks and underwear at 11 p.m. on a Tuesday. Save them the embarrassment of bumming change from a roommate, lugging around their laundry in a garbage bag, and using shampoo for detergent to get things clean.
What are your favorite gifts for grads this year? Leave us a comment.
Jessica Fick serves as InterVarsity’s Regional Evangelism Coordinator for the Great Lakes East region. She blogs at Sidewalk Theologian.