- About Us
- On Campus
- Beyond Campus
- Get Involved
The University of Michigan
In December 2012 the Asian InterVarsity chapter (AIV), the largest of our 10 chapters at the University of Michigan, was derecognized because the chapter’s constitution requires chapter leaders to sign and adhere to InterVarsity’s Doctrinal Basis and Chapter Covenant. The University said that such a requirement conflicts with Michigan's Nondiscrimination Policy. The University also released a statement disputing the reasons for derecognition, and stating that derecognition was based on a missed deadline in the annual re-registration process.
Following a meeting on Monday, February 4, 2013, University officials declared that AIV was re-recognized. In response, InterVarsity released the following statement.
The University of Michigan has re-recognized the Asian InterVarsity Christian Fellowship chapter, creating an exemption to its non-discrimination policies to allow religious student organizations to use religious criteria in selecting their leaders. AIV has not changed its constitution in any way.
"We are grateful that the university has taken a common sense approach to this situation," said Greg Jao, InterVarsity's National Field Director. "They join peer institutions like Tufts, Ohio State, and Minnesota in creating a truly tolerant campus environment that welcomes and supports religious groups. We look forward to continuing the conversation with the university to amend the university's non-discrimination policies to formalize this exemption."
Following are links to news coverage:
- Michigan Removes InterVarsity Chapter from Campus - CBN News, January 31, 2013
- University of Michigan Ousts Christian Club - Christian News Network, February 2, 2013
- University Says it DIdn't Kick Christian Group Off Campus - Michigan Daily, February 2, 2013
- Michigan University Denies it Removed InterVarsity from Campus - Christian Post, February 2, 2013
- InterVarsity Inclusion - Michigan Daily Editorial, February 3, 3013
- Asian InterVarsity Allowed Back on Campus - Michigan Daily, February 4, 2013
- Michigan Situation Reflects National Trend - National Catholic Register, February 6, 2012
- Christian Wolverines Get Special Exception - World magazine, February 6, 2012
- Daily Illini column supports Michigan AIV - Daily Illini, February 8, 2013