The University of California, Santa Cruz (UC Santa Cruz or UCSC) is a public research university in Santa Cruz, California. It is one of 10 campuses in the University of California system. Located 75 miles (120 km) south of San Francisco at the edge of the coastal community of Santa Cruz, the campus lies on 2,001 acres (810 ha) of rolling, forested hills overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Monterey Bay.
Founded in 1965, UC Santa Cruz began with the intention to showcase progressive, cross-disciplinary undergraduate education, innovative teaching methods and contemporary architecture. The residential college system consists of ten small colleges plus the graduate school. There are about 2000 graduate students, in 64 Graduate programs. UC Santa Cruz is classified a R1 Doctoral University with very high research activity.
Grad Christian Fellowship (GCF) began at UC Santa Cruz in 2017. The group started with twelve students at the beginning of fall term. Most members were starting PhDs, so the group got off to a strong start with good leadership and commitment. The group isn’t large but has been close knit over the years. Their main activity is a weekly Bible study with rotating leadership and a robust and open discussion. Current activities are posted on their webpage and Facebook group. GCF affiliated with InterVarsity in 2018, although members have attended InterVarsity’s Grad Winter Retreat since 2008.
UCSC’s Christian faculty group meets twice a year.
Facebook Group -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/ucscgcf
Webpage -- https://www.pacificgfmintervarsity.org/uc-santa-cruz.html
Consider the opportunity to serve the graduate student and faculty population at UCSC, engaging in issues of faith and academic integration. The Campus Staff Minister will:
- Develop InterVarsity ministries for graduate students and faculty at UC Santa Cruz
- Network with and mentor graduate students
- Meet with faculty to help nurture a vision for being and creating world changers
- Provide spiritual support to Christian faculty as they maneuver a demanding vocation and conduct research
- Partner with InterVarsity undergraduate ministries
- Participate in the team of InterVarsity Graduate & Faculty Ministries campus staff across the Pacific Area
- Collaborate with other campus ministries and local church partners to build up and strengthen witnessing communities at UC Santa Cruz.
InterVarsity is looking for candidates who demonstrate prior Christian leadership, personal initiative, and interpersonal skills. Theological education and/or advanced degrees are considered an asset. The ideal candidate has prior work experience in ministry or the marketplace as well as an advanced degree. Candidates need to have people skills for networking, leadership, and evangelism. Cross-cultural skills are a must. All campus staff with InterVarsity are responsible for their own ministry partner development and will receive training and supervision in this area.