Founded in 1801 as South Carolina College, Columbia is the flagship institution of the University of South Carolina System and offers more than 350 programs of study, leading to bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees from 14 degree-granting colleges and schools. The university has a total enrollment of approximately 52,000 students, with over 35,000 on the main Columbia campus as of fall 2019, making it the largest university in South Carolina. USC also has several thousand future students in feeder programs at surrounding technical colleges. Professional schools on the Columbia campus include business, engineering, law, medicine, pharmacy, and social work.
We are seeking someone who can help us establish new work among graduate students and faculty at USC. A graduate degree or one in process is required. An ideal candidate would be excellent at leadership development, have a deep love for the people of the university, and a broad curiosity about the various fields of study.
In addition to the full position description, these qualities are of particular interest to us:
- Ability to build community among a diverse and very busy graduate student population.
- Networking and mentoring graduate students working with their challenging schedules.
- Collaboration with InterVarsity ministries such as Faculty and international student ministry.
- Partnership with other campus ministry organizations.
- Expanding ministry by building missional communities in departments where none exist.
- Leading participants in outreach to incoming graduate students.
InterVarsity is looking for candidates who demonstrate prior Christian leadership, personal initiative, and interpersonal skills. Theological education is considered an asset. The ideal candidate has prior work experience in ministry or the marketplace as well as an advanced degree. Candidates need to have people skills for networking, leadership, and evangelism. Cross-cultural skills are a must. All InterVarsity campus staff ministers are responsible for their own ministry partner development and will receive training and supervision in this area.