Network Mapping for Online or Hybrid Settings
Step 1: Brainstorm
Who are the internationals you already know? Write their names in the circles. Use the ideas as a checklist to remind you of your network.
- Social Media contacts
- Games or other activities
- Discussion forums
- Signed up for chapter
- Friends going to different campus in US
- Friends of friends
- Scholarship program
- International center
- Student clubs
- Class, lab, team
- Bus/subway stop
Step 2: Pray
- Ask God to identify key people he wants you to invest in or to fill the empty circles with relationships.
- Prayerfully create your action plan (See CONNECT below for ideas.) Put it in your calendar!
- What are potential barriers to your next steps? Take 10 min to pray over your plan and through these barriers.
- Invite someone to pray for you and your friends.
Step 3: Connect
In light of everything going on, internationals will appreciate you reaching out even if you haven’t talked to them in a while!
- Think of 2-3 ways you can grow your relationship with key friends.
- Here are some questions you can ask to express your care and to connect:
- How are you doing emotionally?
- What are your top concerns for yourself, your family, and country?
- How can I pray for you? Is there any way I can help?
- I’ve been struggling with ____, too. Do you mind me sharing what’s been helpful for me?
* If you know any students who will be just arriving in the U.S., offer to answer questions or be a tour guide.