- About Us
- On Campus
- Beyond Campus
- Get Involved
The Price of Life at OSU
April 15, 2010
How do you get a whole campus, one of the largest campuses in the U.S., to pay attention to God? That was the goal as InterVarsity brought The Price of Life Invitational to Ohio State University (OSU). (Video summary and news coverage links have been added to the end of this story.)
InterVarsity partnered with other campus Christian organizations, local churches, and anti-trafficking organizations, to raise awareness about the evils of human trafficking and 21st century slavery. During The Price of Life Invitational information about modern day slavery and about what God says concerning injustice was shared in a variety of formats. Students and community members were challenged to consider how God may be calling them to respond and bring justice to those who are suffering through their increased awareness, financial donations to organizations fighting trafficking, and volunteerism.
In addition, The Price of Life Invitational offered students a unique lens to consider the relevancy of Jesus Christ, and offer them the opportunity to hear God’s call to commit their lives to follow Him. More than 300 students committed their lives to follow Christ during this week’s events.
Events of The Price of Life Invitational included:
- Parade of Tears, during which students and community members retraced the route of the historic Underground Railroad in protest against the current child prostitution industry.
- In-class presentations by representatives from World Vision, International Justice Mission, and the Not For Sale Campaign.
- The Price of Life interactive game show which contrasted everyday commodities with the value placed on human life in the contemporary slave trade.
- Proxe Stations, interactive art displays around campus which addressed the issue of child prostitution from the standpoint of the gospel.
- Town Hall meetings which discussed new laws to fight human trafficking, featuring Ohio congressional representatives and a state senator.
Participants in The Price of Life Invitational included:
- US Congressman Patrick Tiberi (R-12th), Keynote Speaker
- U. S. Congresswoman Mary Jo Kilroy (D-15th)
- State Senator Teresa Fedor (D-Toledo)
- Holly J. Burkhalter, Vice President for Government Relations, International Justice Mission
- Theresa Flores, Director of Awareness and Training, Gracehaven
- David Batstone, President and Founder of the Not for Sale Campaign
- Steve Reynolds, World Vision
- Jane Tafel, President of Hagar International USA
April 19 – OSU Lantern