Tuesday, December 1, 2015
(Madison, WI) – To find God’s will for your life, it’s good to know what God is doing in the world. That’s what Urbana, InterVarsity’s student missions conference, is about. Held every three years, Urbana’s general sessions, 200 seminars, and 250+ mission agency and seminary exhibitors offers students and other attendees an incredible array of stories describing how God is at work in the world.
Urbana 15 will be held December 27-31, 2015, at the Edward Jones Dome and the Americas Center in St. Louis. More than 16,000 students and other attendees are expected. And we have an amazingly diverse array of compelling speakers. But for journalists especially, main session speakers are just the tip of the iceberg. Many more compelling stories are found in the seminars, between the morning and evening plenary sessions
Interested in what’s happening in Cuba? That’s a seminar. Is there hope in the Middle East? That’s a seminar. Can we end modern slavery? That’s a seminar. How can a Christian pursue racial reconciliation? That’s a seminar. Is the traditional model of missions sustainable in the twenty-first century? That’s a seminar. Is science compatible with the Christian faith? That’s a seminar. How does a Christian discern how God may be leading him or her into a career? That’s a seminar. Can social media be an effective witnessing tool? That’s a seminar. And the list goes on.
People from a great variety of professions and experiences will be sharing how they see God at work, such as:
- Ali Llewellyn & Nick Skytland, NASA strategists & technologists
- Ben Lowe, of the Evangelical Environmental Network
- Janeen Uzzell, global director of external affairs and technology programs for GE Global Research
- Jeremiah Zaretsky, of Jews for Jesus
- Joshua Swamidass, professor of immunology and pathology, Washington University
- Lisa Calfas, Brand Strategist at Google
- Paul Borthwick, international missionary strategist
- Ruth Hubbard, chief brand officer for Wycliffe Bible Translators USA
- Simon Sathish, head of the Union of Evangelical Students of India
- Simon Seow, digital strategist for Cru
- Victor Obeng, General Secretary of GHAFES, the Ghaniaian affiliate of the International Fellowship of Evangelical Students.
- And many more
What stories are you interested in? We invite you to come and report from Urbana 15. Conference registration is free for journalists. Register for Urbana 15 online at: https://register.urbana.org/portal/registration/vendor. After registering, you can access the Urbana Housing Bureau through your account to book rooms at the discounted Urbana rate. We look forward to seeing you in the press room at Urbana 15. If you have any questions about Urbana 15, please contact Gordon Govier (phone 608-443-3688).
InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA is an interdenominational ministry with over 40,000 students involved on 649 campuses nationwide. Urbana 15 is also sponsored by Inter-Varsity Canada and Groupes Bibliques Universitaires et Collégiaux du Canada. We've been presenting the Urbana Student Missions Conference since 1946. Urbana is not like any other conference.